MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 23: Second placed Carlos Sainz of Spain and Ferrari celebrates in parc ferme with his trophy and a bottle of Ferrari Trento sparkling wine during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 23, 2021 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Gonzalo Fuentes - Pool/Getty Images)

Carlos Sainz has lashed out at comments of missing McLaren, saying he doesn’t do so at all.

McLaren created history at the Italian GP, taking a staggering 1-2. Many speculated that the former McLaren driver in Sainz might be regretting his move to Ferrari this season. This is made more interesting by the fact that this was the very same race Sainz missed out on a win on.

The Ferrari driver was asked about his feelings on the topic. Sainz lashed out at comments of missing McLaren, saying he doesn’t do so at all.

As reported by Marca.com, Sainz said, “In Monaco, no one told me ‘it’s good that you went to Ferrari with almost pole and almost victory,’ nor in Hungary does anyone ask you about McLaren and, suddenly, they win a race and everyone else ‘if you had been in McLaren you could have won.’

“The answer is no. I do not miss McLaren, I am having the best year of my life at Ferrari, I would not change it for anything, time will tell if I was wrong, but I am very confident in this project, not winning a race but in the next years.” 

2021 Italian GP FP1: Sainz pushes the limits of his Ferrari at Monza"
Sainz (pictured) had a worse Italian GP this year. Source: formula1.com

New days

Sainz then spoke about the new season, and how the regulations announced for it excites him. However, he said that this season is still not lost, and vowed to keep fighting until it’s over.

“It will be a ‘reset’ of F1, in general. It will be a very big change in the last 20 years, a fresh start for everyone,” Sainz remarked.  

“I ask to be as prepared as possible for that change. We have been working on that car since January, 90% of the time in the simulator as well. The factory talks and meetings … everything for that car. No idea how the others will arrive, but we are not leaving anything to do to fight to win again.” 

Read more: Sainz says he knows who was at fault for Italian GP crash – “The accident makes it pretty clear”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here