Romain Grosjean says he is disappointed with the lack of messages from F1 drivers after his fiery crash last year.
In Bahrain last season, Grosjean collided with barriers at a speed of 150 mph, and was trapped in flames. He managed to escape with burns to both his hands.
Support poured in from everyone in the F1 community as Grosjean was ruled out only for two races. However, the lack of messages from F1’s current drivers left the former Haas driver a bit disappointed.
Speaking on F1’s Beyond the Grid podcast, Grosjean revealed his sadness with the lack of interaction after the incident.
“I was a bit disappointed that not many took news about how I was recovering after Bahrain. And, uh, it’s been a bit disappointing in that way,” he said. “It would have been nice to have a few more messages.”
After his release from Haas, Grosjean announced his triumphant return to F1 recently. It will not be for racing purposes, however. Instead, Grosjean will test Mercedes’ 2019 championship-winning car at the Paul Ricard Circuit on June 29. At his home grand prix, he will have the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the illustrious car.
Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff offered him the chance a few months ago, and it has come to fruition now. The 35-year-old will drive Lewis Hamilton’s WDC-winning car a month from now.
After his freak accident last season, Wolff wanted Grosjean to end his F1 career on his own terms. As June approaches, he will be doing just that.
We can’t wait for Romain Grosjean’s return to the track and see him do what he loves. He will sit in the cockpit of one of the fastest cars in the history of the sport. Once again, and perhaps for the last time, he will have the spotlight he has tirelessly worked career to earn.