The 20-time major winner hasn’t played since losing in the US Open final against Daniil Medvedev earlier this month, missing out on completing the calendar Grand Slam.
Djokovic, 34, is a five-time winner of the tournament, which has been rescheduled from its customary March date owing to the coronavirus outbreak and will begin next Thursday.
“I am sorry I won’t get to see my fans in Indian Wells and play in the desert, my favourite place to go. I hope to see you next year!” Djokovic said on Twitter.
I am sorry I won’t get to see my fans in Indian Wells and play in the desert, my favourite place to go. I hope to see you next year! @BNPPARIBASOPEN— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) September 29, 2021
Tommy Haas reaction
“We are disappointed that Novak will not be able to join us at the BNP Paribas Open this fall. We hope to see him back in Tennis Paradise next March to contend for a record-setting sixth title in the desert,” the tournament director Tommy Haas said, according to reports on Eurosport.
Djokovic has already qualified for the ATP Finals in Turin in November. He is attempting to become the first player to finish the season being the world No. 1 seven times.
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have already finished their seasons, while Dominic Thiem, the 2019 Indian Wells champion, will miss the rest of the season due to injury.